Many of the problems the church in Corinth experienced would have been immediately obvious the casual attendee. The church was divided; people behaved in selfish, unloving ways; some denied fundamental doctrines; the church tolerated gross immorality; worship services were disorderly. The church leadership seemed to have abdicated responsibility. The Corinthian believers had lost sight of the focus of the gospel: love God and love one another.
In his first letter to the Corinthians, Paul counsels the church to let love and godliness have first place in their assemblies. As we study this course on 1 Corinthians, we will apply his teaching and counsel to our own lives and the church today.
Through your study of this course, we pray that you will:
- Understand the core issues that led to disunity in the early Corinthian church and that are present in many churches today
- Explain Paul’s resolutions to issues he encountered and see his purpose in writing the letter
- Be able to identify the difference in wisdom of man and wisdom of God and how it applies to discernment of false teachings
- Develop an understanding of “freedom in Christ” and the importance of exercising those freedoms in love for your fellow brother
- Recognize that the struggles that took place in ancient Corinth also take place in many churches today
- Obtain practical ways to apply Paul’s teachings to your own life and in your church today
Are you ready to begin your study of 1 Corinthians? This course will guide you through the precious writings of one of the great apostles, address heart issues, and point out the path to true, God-honoring freedom.